Airstream Screen Door

In order to get the best fit when adjusting the main door Tim had to remove the screen door and since the screens within the screen door needed to be replaced, we fixed the screens while they were removed.

20160531_134838

Not only were the screens coming loose in some areas, there were also  multiple holes of this size on both the top and bottom screen.

20160531_141702

My plan down the road is to paint this sliding door white. Not quite sure yet how I will avoid painting the furry trim on it though. Maybe I will just Vaseline or tape the trim off, unless I can find new furry stuff to replace the old stuff.

20160531_141727

As for our screen choice we went with what we had on hand. Our cat likes to rip through screens just to pass the time and to piss me off, so we usually have a roll of screen repair stuff on hand. Here you can see me reading the instructions with Alice’s interior skin in the background. Working on an Airstream in the ‘burbs is not pretty!

20160531_135621

This is the brand we had on hand.

064

Again, we had the spline roller (brown tool) on hand because of Astrid the demon cat. We had new spline (the rubbery piece of cord that holds the screen in place) that we planned on using but the spline (which we buy in bulk because…. have I mentioned our horrible cat Astrid?!) was too big so Tim just reused the spline that was in Alice. Luckily it came out in one piece so installation went easily. The used spline is that gray cord you use in the photo below.

20160531_135654

First Tim removed the spline. Then he removed the old screen.

20160531_135456

He rolled out the new screen and made a rough cut.

20160531_135627

Starred Photos149

Once Tim trimmed it down to a closer fit, we taped down the edges.

Starred Photos150

Then Tim reinstalled the spline with the spline tool and trimmed the excess screen fabric.

Then it was time to put the screen door back up. We tried Clecos for the first time but the size we had didn’t fit.

IMAG0878

The next hurdle was now that the main door fits so snuggly, the screen door didn’t fit. So Tim re-curved (yes that is the technical term) the door. First he tried by applying pressure while the bottom of the door was on the ground.

IMAG0881

But that didn’t curve the door enough so we moved back into the garage, pulled out our garbage cans work station and between the two of us applying pressure on both ends, we were able to recurve the door.

IMAG0884

And it fit!

IMAG0885

After that Tim drilled out the existing holes to a size that would fit the rivets we had on hand.

IMAG0927

Both the holes in the screen door and on the hinge connected to Alice’s frame needed to be drilled out.

IMAG0931

Starred Photos148

And then it was time to rivet it all back into place.

IMAG0936

18 Rivets later Alice had a screen door again! I took photos of every step of the process but forgot to snap a photo of re-curved, re-screened and reinstalled screen door #bloggingfail! Best photo I have is from Tim’s Instagram account. If you don’t follow him yet, you should.

 

4 thoughts on “Airstream Screen Door

    1. Meg Post author

      Thank you Bill! The end goal keeps us going… that and having the 31ft tin can parked next to our garage isn’t a bad reminder either!

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *